If you love a spirited weekend or holiday getaway, you should consider a vehicle with a lot of horsepower – Ford Ranger. You must know that Ford Ranger is the first compact pickup truck manufactured by Ford Motor Company. Ford Ranger stays true to its tagline “Build Ford Tough” because of its robust exterior that can endure even the rugged roads.
For your weekend getaways, you need another thing – Ford Ranger Roof Racks. A roof rack is a set of bars fastened to the roof of any vehicle. Installing a roof rack on your truck is like adding another floor to your house. Here are some things that you need to know about roof racks:
What are the roof racks for?
Some vehicles come with factory-installed roof racks while there are others that need to be purchased or installed separately as an aftermarket accessory. It has different components like towers, crossbars, fitting pieces, and gear mounts. It can be utilized to carry bulky items like skis, bicycles, canoes, kayaks, luggage and other containers.
Roof racks allow you to carry more stuff by increasing the cargo area volume. Roof racks enable the passengers to have increased legroom and storage space in the vehicle. On top of that, it safely secures valuable things like sports equipment. If sports equipment is not adequately secured, it could become a safety risk in the traffic.
What are the types of roof racks?
You have to know the different types of roof rack based on the vehicle roof. Types include:
- Rain gutters: This type of roof rack is extremely popular in the past when there were not many choices available. Rain gutters are mostly used on full-size cargo vehicles and passenger vans. This type of roof rack is usually mounted directly to the gutter around the roofline.
- Raised rail: This type of roof rack is the most popular type these days. It is commonly mounted on wagons, SUVs, and minivans. Raised rail rack runs the length of the vehicle from front to back; it is attached to the roof’s edge. It has a crossbar system, which is simple to install – you only need load bars and foot packs.
- Flush rail: This type of roof rack is relatively new. It was first introduced on European vehicles. Many people consider this because it is functional and aesthetically pleasing. It is characterized by having no space between the roof and the rail; there is an indiscernible inner and outer groove, which allows the crossbars to be linked.
- Half rails: There are some who prefer half rails roof rack. This refers to two rails placed on both sides of the vehicle roof. Note, that there are no crossbars connected hear. To set up this, you need a mounting pack.
How much does it cost?
Roof racks start around $50, and it can go up to $200. Many factors affect the cost of the roof rack. Factors include material (whether it is steel or aluminum), style or type of the rack and the manufacturer or brand. You have to know that aluminum roof racks are more expensive than steel. On top of that, roof racks with this aerodynamic profile will be more costly than ordinary ones.
Will any roof rack fit in any car?
You cannot just purchase the first or the cheapest roof rack you discovered because there are different types of roof rack for different cars. It will be a waste if you buy any roof rack without knowing your vehicle roof profile first.
Can you manually fit the roof rack?
The fitting roof rack is simple do-it-your own job. Here are some tips that you can consider to fit the roof rack smoothly:
- Get help: The task will be easier if you get a second pair of hands. It will also limit the risk of scratching or even damaging anything during the installation.
- Read the instructions: Sometimes you get so overwhelmed that you think you know things. Unfortunately, that is counterproductive. To improve the installation process, you should read the instructions first. The roof rack instruction manual will give you a clear guideline about the fitting positions and the torque settings, which are vital.
- Clean the roof first: Before you install it, you should clean the roof first. Dirt and grime that will be trapped in the mounting points or support could potentially scratch your paintwork.
- Put grease: It is imperative that you put even a small amount of copper grease on all the bolts. This will ensure that when you remove the rack in the future, it will be easier.
- Do not overdo it: In the case of torque, you should observe the proper setting. Over tightening it can lead to damage. Again, it would help if you paid attention to the instructions manual so you will have an idea about the proper torque setting.
Without a doubt, roof racks add immense versatility and practicality to your Ford Ranger. Roof racks are the ideal solution for outdoor adventurists and even business owners. You should find a suitable rack for your vehicle right away to make the most out of it.