Fun Facts and Various Types of Crossbow0
A crossbow is one of the most interesting weapons you can ever come across. It is fun to use and can add a lot to your hunting experience. They have been in use since the fourth century and still find their ways in the hands of humans today. Crossbows are designed following different strategies, but they all seem to have a specific generic design. When looking for the best crossbow to buy, consider what works best for you since what you find fascinating may differ from what another person likes.
Crossbows were earlier called Arbalest. They were the weapon of choice during the middle age. The guns used today originated from the same technology with which the crossbows were designed. The crossbow ranges from 350 to 400 yards in the distance it can cover. However, it can be shot at two bolts per minute. Those who are experts at handling the crossbows can even shoot faster than that.
Unique benefits of a crossbow
Some of the features that make a crossbow a weapon of choice for many are highlighted below:
- The weapon is very easy to use by many
- You do not need much training to start using it correctly and taking out targets
- Also, you do not need to be especially strong before you can use it.
- It can be used stealthily. It does not make any noise, unlike a gun. As a result, you would have shot the target long before it knew what hits it. The target may never live to tell the story if you know how to aim perfectly since it will be long dead before it hits the ground.
When looking for the best crossbow to buy, however, look for one that you can handle easily since the weight differs from one product to another.
In the next section of this write-up, we will talk about the basic facts about a crossbow.
Basic facts and information about a crossbow
A crossbow usually comes with a wooden stock, which is made from elm, hazel or yew ash. The wooden stock is coated with varnish or glue depending on what the manufacturers prefer.
- The bow in the crossbow is usually made of sturdy materials, which can be steel, iron or wood.
- The bow can be as long as three feet; it is sometimes not longer than two feet
- The string attached to the crossbow, on the other hand, is made from hemp; this is because hemp is the least elastic and strongest fiber available. After attaching the string to the weapon, it is then soaked in glue to protect it against moisture.
- You can pull the string back by winding a crank on a ratchet or by using a lever. Using muscle power alone will not gain as much tension as when draw the string using a mechanical method. The mechanical way of pulling it eases the stress and makes the weapon a perfect choice for all categories of end users, including a sick soldier, an old man and even a young boy with little or no experience about how to use this weapon. It is also better to consider who is to use the weapon when looking for the best crossbow to buy.
- The quarrel or crossbow bolt is laid down in a groove located on the top of the stock after which the trigger is pulled.
- The crossbow comes with about three notches in which you can rest your thumb. They can be lined up with the bolt, forming the crossbow sight for a more perfect aiming
- The simplicity of its design makes it easy to use to the extent that even an untrained soldier can use it with complete ease. In fact, medieval crossbowmen were not as well trained as the soldiers of those days; they were merely peasants wearing ordinary clothes.
- Also, you can get it loaded and ready for use before time; this is unlike what you get when you are using a long or short bow.
- The crossbow can easily penetrate iron armor. As a result, it is possible for a crossbowman to kill a knight wearing iron armor. Bear in mind also that aiming a crossbow is easier than short bow and arrow; you should keep this in mind when shopping for the best crossbow.
- The ease of aiming is partly due to the less need for upper body strength by the crossbowman.
- The crossbow may be a sweet weapon to handle, but it has a slow firing rate compared to a gun. Also, manufacturing it takes a lot of time. What is more, they are relatively expensive. Be that as it may, they have unique stealth that very few weapons can boast of. They are the perfect choice for hunting games since they do not leave the animal as bloodied as many other weapons will.
Available brands of crossbows
When shopping for the best crossbow to meet your hunting purpose, you can go for any of the brands mentioned below
- Barnett Jackal Package: It is the perfect choice for a newbie. It is user-friendly and budget-friendly. Its military-style stock also makes it stand out. This is the best for you if you are on a tight budget.
- Arrow Precision Inferno Fury: This one is among the most affordable around, and it is highly effective in its function. The quality is decent, and it is lightweight, making it easy to handle for all categories of end users, irrespective of their level of training.
- CenterPoint Sniper 370 Package: It is a powerful beast and highly effective, despite its being budget-friendly. It is also one of the best choices for a beginner or someone with little experience in handling the crossbow. It has a velocity of 30 FPS and can shoot in a deadly manner within 50 yards range.
Other types to consider are:
- Wicked Ridge Invader G3
- Barnett Ghost 375 that comes with a 5-in-1 safety system and only weighs 7 pounds, as well as being able to travel 385 FPS. It is, therefore, worthy of note when looking for the best crossbow to buy.
- Barnett Buck Commander Extreme that is both lightweight and quick
- Excalibur Matrix Grizzly SMF, which is not cheap but still affordable.